Author Topic: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch  (Read 108992 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
[Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch
« on: October 29, 2021, 05:01:11 PM »
Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch

Download and extract all files into your game folder (overwrite existing files).

To configure your resolution and other settings (e.g. windowed mode) use Warcraft II Config.exe.

Please report any bugs you find in here or on discord: https://discord.com/invite/b7gttyy

Download (Tested with GOG.com, new Battle.net (January 2024) version and War2Combat): https://www.moddb.com/downloads/warcraft-ii-widescreen

Note: Linux/macOS users need to run Warcraft II Config.exe once so it can add the needed dll override.

Live Streaming

For live streaming/recording with OBS the preferred way to capture the game is now "Game Capture". It's also possible to use "Display Capture" or "Window Capture" but to make those two options working you'll need to open "dd-hd.ini" in notepad and change the line "nonexclusive=false" to "nonexclusive=true".

Full tutorial for live streaming is here: https://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,6211.0.html

Lobby map plugin

Lambchops fixed his lc.dll and lobby_map plugin to make it working with the patch, you can download it here:
https://forum.war2.ru/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6461.0;attach=4520

Features

- Widescreen / High resolution patch - Run the game at any resolution, enable via Warcraft II Config.exe
- No-CD patch (No registry keys required)
- Plugin loader - Supports LC.dll, but can also load known plugins without LC.dll
- Intro crash fix - Fixes a random crash that prevents the game from starting
- Warlat Patch - Unlocks a lower latency mode that's normally not available - Set lat to very high and then to low to activate it
- Revision check fix - Fixes a issue where the game fails to connect to battle.net if installed inside of the Program Files folder
- Creates a DC for drawing that can used by plugins (CALL 0x004010D3 to get the HDC)
- Crash logger - Creates a minidump (.dmp) file on crash
- Can load real .png UI files from game folder (no more conversion to war2 format needed)
- Gateway patch - Make sure war2.ru gateway is always available even without being set in registry
- Res bug fix - Fixes the issue where you end up having the wrong resources setting when hosting a game
- Performance improvements - Replaces old CRT functions with newer/faster SSE ones (memcpy, memset, memmove, ZeroMemory)
- Support for GOG/Blizzard2024 version - Loads install.mpq instead of install.exe + Loads CD-Key from registry
- Unlocks the "Join" button on the official server so you can join games without port forwarding
- Compatible with official battle.net (Global) server (Fakes version number to 2.0.2.1)
- Game folder is now portable - New default settings: Recent Maps=Garden Of War, Speed=Even Faster, Subtitles=On
- Added iron man ladder patches (Resources, Speed, Threshold) from War2Patcher
- Can now detect wine (Linux/macOS/Android..) and automatically adds the needed dll overrides
- Added credits patch by lesnik - Displays all the credits that are written in the TBL in multiple screens

There are also some additional features provided by cnc-ddraw:
- Windowed mode
- Borderless mode
- Shader upscaling
- Mouse sensitivity scaling
- and many more...

Additional features provided by plugins:
- MMblack - Changes minimap color of black player to pink
- SmoothScroll - Makes your screen refresh more often so the scroll appears at a higher FPS
- AutoWarlat - Enables the low latency patch automatically on game start
- Ignore - Saves whoever you've ignored and remembers it even after a restart of the game

Original (640x480)

Widescreen (832x480)

Widescreen (960x544)

Widescreen (1280x704)

4:3 (800x608)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 01:35:28 AM by fois »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »
cool stuff.

definitely not for multiplayer. not even the option. leave 640x480

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »
Why not? Finally we will remove black bars in modern monitors

You are not even playing tk
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 10:22:15 PM »
Nice.  Multiplayer it!

Offline shesycompany

• Death Knight
  • retired, be in music section
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:43:51 PM »
a name player i would listen to it

Offline maciek

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 05:59:17 AM »
It looks very good. Looking forward to play 960x544 on multiplayer

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 06:42:48 AM »
cool stuff.

I was also concerned about multiplayer hence why I made it for it for single player only at first. I tried out high resolutions like 1280x720 but I didn't like it, you can see way too much. 832x480 is not that much higher than the original so I thought at least this resolution would be fine for multiplayer.

danny tried out the 960x544 patch yesterday on his stream, anyone who's interested in how it plays with a higher resolution can check out his video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1190669661
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:00:23 AM by fois »

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »
cool stuff.

I was also concerned about multiplayer hence why I made it for it for single player only at first. I tried out high resolutions like 1280x720 but I didn't like it, you can see way too much. 832x480 is not that much higher than the original so I thought at least this resolution would be fine for multiplayer.

danny tried out the 960x544 patch yesterday on his stream, anyone who's interested in how it plays with a higher resolution can check out his video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1190669661

and available on youtube:

Testing up NEW Warcraft 2 higher resolution feature - 960x544 pixels. Orc04 Insane Edition - YouTube

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 12:02:47 PM »
1) would it affect scrolling at all? if so it'd be bad for multiplayer.

2) if everyone is not forced to/able to use widescreen it will mean some players have more vision than others.

#2 is the biggest concern imo ... but both would change the mechanics of the game in my opinion. even if scroll speed was the same, time needed to scroll from Point A to point B l(left to right) would be slightly affected simply because it appears to be at least 30% larger field of vision

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:05:32 PM by tk[as] »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
Say you're 12 o clock and you make your altar closer to s12. It's typically out of vision. There is a "skill gap" that requires a better player to remember/time the mage/lust upgrade.. Even though your viewfinder has no other reason to look over there, other than to make the upgrade. With wider field of vision you are more likely to see the altar and make the upgrade without having to remember it.. if that makes sense.

The widescreen does change the mechanics of the game...in more ways than the very simple example i just mentioned.

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 12:27:04 PM »
Say you're 12 o clock and you make your altar closer to s12. It's typically out of vision. There is a "skill gap" that requires a better player to remember/time the mage/lust upgrade.. Even though your viewfinder has no other reason to look over there, other than to make the upgrade. With wider field of vision you are more likely to see the altar and make the upgrade without having to remember it.. if that makes sense.

The widescreen does change the mechanics of the game...in more ways than the very simple example i just mentioned.

Lol

Offline maciek

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
1) would it affect scrolling at all? if so it'd be bad for multiplayer.
if you dont want to adjust to different scrolling stay at 640x480

2) if everyone is not forced to/able to use widescreen it will mean some players have more vision than others.
If people don't care to download it why would I care. Its their concern

That's probably the most stupid thing you have ever written xDDD

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 01:18:18 PM »
Yeah, you're changing the game.

Offline justinschmidt

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 10:23:11 PM »
I want to say thank you to fois, mistral, and everyone else for all that they you have done. It really means a lot. You guys have done such an incredible job with the game. [as] 4 life

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »
TK is right for a change, even though he explained it like TWN-Cancel after 27 beers