Author Topic: Why doesn't everyone move to GOG?  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't everyone move to GOG?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 04:16:20 PM »
about 6 or 7 new players off his stream not from RU.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.

Just saying what he is trying to do.

whenever i watch him i see same players from ru
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 06:14:52 PM »
There's a possibility the server isnt being attacked. There's a possibility Ukraine is about to be though... which means servers across the country might have been shut down to limit information flowing in/out of the country.

Or some other reason related to a potential conflict.

small possibility.. but its a possibility.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 06:20:04 PM »
also GoG was dog shit in my experience.

Why are we not hosting a backup server since mousey went MIA? cant we host one in canada/us? How much can it cost to host something with the amount of traffic we have?

Offline Disgruntled

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »
because the war2.ru server works so well
duh
 :salty:

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 06:58:43 PM »
Yeah I can't play there it seems...Every time I try to connect to GOG it say's "need to download to the latest software" and that's that...

You need to launch the game with their client, not the war2.ru one

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 07:00:36 PM »
There is no way to prevent it?
If i knew... :(
We have no one who understood this problem better than iL.

1. There is no connection issues
2. We encourage hacking on .ru
3. Yes I understand it's very hard to type /join X
4. Oh no!
1. liar
2. liar
3. go type it every login, have fun

retard
Proper signature. Yes, it seems you are a completely selfish retard.

1. No
2. No
3. We did this for 12+ years on battle.net every single time we logged in.

retard

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 06:02:18 AM »
Yeah I can't play there it seems...Every time I try to connect to GOG it say's "need to download to the latest software" and that's that...

You need to launch the game with their client, not the war2.ru one

I’ll try it when I log on today
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 06:18:50 AM »
I dont have a lot of time to play war2, but when I do its mainly on GoG with Cel.  He streams on the weekends.   https://www.twitch.tv/trogallart   -- click on schedule for times.  We meet in Op Trogallart channel.

That’s cool I’ll play with cel today why not.
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 07:01:05 AM »
Right now there really is too much latency for me to play on RU so yes I think I check out GOG to see how gameplay is.
war2 > war3

Offline Available

• Global Moderator
  • Grunt
  • We're smarter than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 07:20:14 AM »
Right now there really is too much latency for me to play on RU
If you see "red" in a channel (backup server) - it's not a real problem, because in-game latency does not depend on server latency. Only delay to other players affects. Server is needed just to connect with others initially.

Offline Dudakurten

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 08:57:37 AM »
Cant join games and nobody can join my games on back up server. Worked 1-2 times only with me...I will wait the normal server back.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
Right now there really is too much latency for me to play on RU
If you see "red" in a channel (backup server) - it's not a real problem, because in-game latency does not depend on server latency. Only delay to other players affects. Server is needed just to connect with others initially.

Seems almost unplayable on the backup.
I get it once your actually playing it's not that bad but it takes 10-15 mins. (Your welcome to try and host a game)
IDK what is causing these KPI's to have such bad latency but no organization would ever allow an end user experience to be that bad...
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 12:12:38 PM »
Is @iL aware of the condition of the server again?
He is yes he is just busy which is understandable
war2 > war3

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
GOG is NOT a better experience. Yes it does not lag that much, but you certainly cannot get or even dream of lan latency there, it just is the way it was in 2000. Actually the whole game really is just like it was back then, without all the care and love people gave it here over the years.

That said I think IL finally implemented the server protection I recommended a year ago, right @iL ? If that is the case and I could make a difference I am really glad. I believe it still may take a few tweaks / time to get it perfectly right though so be patient but once it is, the server wont suffer this kind of crap anymore unless the attackers spends way more from their pockets which is just always satisfying to know  :ok_hand:.

About Trogallart and his stream.
Maybe Trog just still likes and enjoys the good old and flawed game he plays with his people over there. Maybe not all of these nice players that come play with him feel like playing on RU yet or at all. And maybe he values the people he plays with more than the game itself.
What if some of these new guys happen to learn a thing or two about the game, get hooked, and end up wanting to play here too sometimes? What if the nice people they met that came from RU happen to be a perfect introduction to play here later surrounded by friendly faces?

Who said it always had to be about choosing a camp or standing a ground? No matter where people play and how people enjoy it wc2 is wc2, I do not think we need to create yet another divide where we do not need to have one. Just play where you want with the people you want to play with...

What Trog is building is just a group of friends, that respect each others, and that he has fun playing with and looks forward to be around every weekend. That is it...

The fact that GOG is being used at all and that we can annoy Blizzard every time they mess up is just a free added benefit.
But seriously moving players from RU to GOG I cannot see how that would have a good effect at all, except maybe it would just manage to push even more players that still enjoy the game on RU to stop playing altogether which would be just a net loss for everyone.

That said, happy gaming! bye! :wave: :wc2:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 07:15:06 AM by Cel »

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2022, 10:29:49 AM »
Building a separate community of beginners on a different server Without all of the toxicity with the possibility of merging them later sounds like a good idea to me.

I tried logging on gog yesterday. Maybe I was in the wrong area but I didn't see anyone online.

/Users didn't work, No games were currently hosted, and nobody was in the default channel it put me in