Author Topic: Warcraft 2 First War Returns, new warcraft 1 remake, MOD  (Read 11448 times)

Online Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Warcraft 2 First War Returns, new warcraft 1 remake, MOD
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2022, 02:28:08 PM »
it's not working since second mission. At the beginning of that mission player is losing instantly.
you lose in human2 becoz as danny said u not installed mod properly and plugin was not loaded.
and game was using default human2 triggers from blizzard where u need to save white archer but modded map not have white archers rescue passive so game think they all dead and you get gg

p.s. also probaly there is a chance its danny fault cuz he maybe not put all needed plugins in pack? or fucked them somehow

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »
WHAT ?
WTF? why u even thinked i writed this to u?
this was for danny
lol or

Ok  :sweat: Lol, ok, I'm happy it wasn't written to me

hehe, I appreciate your honesty bud, more than you think... Did you place the Plugins into Plugins folder ?

Thanks for understanding  :slight_smile:

Yep, I'm using Combat Edition, downloaded from war2.ru in version 2.02, and this is how my folders looks like:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Online Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »
you have clean version of war2
reinstall combat
and select Lambchops framework version
u need LC.DLL for plugins to work
i dnt see LC in your folder so its means u using war2 without plugins support

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2022, 05:05:52 PM »
Now it's working, thanks  ;)

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
you have clean version of war2
reinstall combat
and select Lambchops framework version
u need LC.DLL for plugins to work
i dnt see LC in your folder so its means u using war2 without plugins support

so Ed, u are a hero once again. I saw vendar was using regular forest tileset. Maybe war2patch.mpq wasn't being loaded. Thanks again, u are the god of war 2 )))

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »
Hi again,

Have played all five missions.

I like few changes:

• War1 AI prioritizing; firstly on workers, next knights, archers, footmans. It makes more sense than in War2 imo
  • Archers/axethrowers attacks faster
  • command lines from War3 about mine collapsing, not enough farms etc.
  • special sounds (from War3) after a building gets ready
  • AI using Raise Dead spell

And that's all I liked. Everything else are changes for worse :-\ The worst of it is vision of every unit limited to 2.
Even archers, that has range on 4, has sight set on 3... that means they can shoot further than they can see, lol :)) That also means that AI archers fights a lot better than player's, cause AI can shot me while my archers has to make additional step to see their target. I'm sure it didn't work this way in Warcraft 1. Also, in Warcraft 1 there were walls and catapults, no fog of war and holy vision spell that is not available here for some reason.

Other thing is lack of clerics. Two paladins at the beginning are not the same for two reason: after using their mana player is out of healing for a long time; but... paladin is a unit with best stats in game so I have finished third and fifth missions by rushing opponent with only my start army.

Player is heavly limited to basic units only, without any area damage, without walls, without towers, without enough healing and with poor sight and map awarness. Meanwhile AI plays on insane level with tons of units sending every 5 minutes. Tried like 15 times to win second mission. Finally I gave up and wanted to check how you did it and... you didn't  :rofl: On your YouTube video you have tried few times and later on cheat to the next mission  :rofl: So I did the same thing.
Third mission starts with some units, including two Paladins. Win this one by rushing opponent, just all in to their base and hooray - I win something here!
Fourth was a pain. Seeing Runes casted automatically around my units I understood why Blizzard didn't learn AI how to use that spell  :)) Imagine that in a normal, skirmish mission. You are sending army of paladins and half of them died before battle even starts  ;D Anyway, I have finished this one with a lot saving/loading, almost after ever step on map.
Fifth starts again with strong group of units. My first attempt that I won was a rush and even orcish army with Death Knight didn't stopped me. After a victory I tried this again, just to play a more normal way. Tried few times but I couldn't beat AI. I had to defense all the time and barely I was able to rebuilt units I just lost. Don't know how to win this without rush.

All in all I think that Warcraft 1 was a way easier. Yes, there were the same "problems" like here with controls or with sending workers on a life long trips to new gold mine, but the AI was not so agressive and player had more tools to fight.

Online Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 03:01:41 AM »
actually Blizzard maked that AI should cast EVERY spells
but they fucked up (as always) and got so many bugs and many spells become unusable

i fixed it with my ai fix that danny using here in plugin
blizzard fucked functions that was finding target to cast

AI dk was set to cast raise dead but
they cannot SEE dead body cut they was checking all ALIVE units to find it but dead body already have dying flag and was not counted

also ogres was able to cast runes but again was not able to find target
becoz they was set to cast them ONLY on peons and when the ogre itself is in INVIZ
so lol

and human mages can also use inviz but conditions is so cursed
they used this very rare and on bad situations anyways
and they NEVER was able to use it on other mages
i maked in ai fix they use inviz on other mage
and this mage go blizzard peons

Online Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 03:05:06 AM »
also about vision
i think u need to just disable fog of war for it to be "like war1"
cuz in war1 units really HAD low vision
but when u scouted area it will be always seen

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 03:58:55 AM »
but they fucked up (as always) and got so many bugs and many spells become unusable

they cannot SEE dead body cut they was checking all ALIVE units to find it but dead body already have dying flag and was not counted

becoz they was set to cast them ONLY on peons and when the ogre itself is in INVIZ
so lol

I'm not sure about fucked up by Blizzard.
Raise Dead, for 40Hp Skeleton, is probably a waste of mana. Runes would be a nightmare to play against and same with inviz mages.
Maybe it was a decision to keep these spells unusable by AI to keep the gameplay enjoyable and not irritating.

Online Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 05:28:47 AM »
but i am SURE it WAS fucked up by BLIZZARD
i saw all those bug directly in game CODE
there is way more bugs still hidden too
like u know comps actually CAN break walls and they was INTENDED to do this by BLIZZARD
but fucked up again
there is even fucking comments in this code about how comps units will go break walls

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 06:43:12 AM »

so lol

I'm not sure about fucked up by Blizzard.
Raise Dead, for 40Hp Skeleton, is probably a waste of mana. Runes would be a nightmare to play against and same with inviz mages.
Maybe it was a decision to keep these spells unusable by AI to keep the gameplay enjoyable and not irritating.

thank you a lot for your feedback.

this is the first playable version (alpha v1.0) but also i set it up with the difficulty i liked the most.
Yes is hard. Yes, i will attempt to make an easier difficulty.

This is a hard balance to make on how to make it challenging but in the same time fun for casual level.

Second level is beatable and in the most recent video from this demo.

Human04 mission can be hard if you dont know where to go. Runes can be such a challenge if you learn how to deal with this ability properly.

99,9999999999999999999999999999999% of people don't have any idea what to do here because Runes never were used in this game. Neither by computer or players.

Raise of the dead skeletons were buffed, they're stronger HP armor and damage now.

Clerics I cannot import just yet. I'm too noob still to dig good enough into the code but Paladins are covering up the job for now.

Vision on archers, yeah good job finding out that behavior. I saw they shoot more further away from what they can see. Will take a look.

There's an option to disable or enable fog of war but I think I disabled that option to be tweaked on the mod, it can be available or not depending on the difficulty levels i set up. Either way this is why is alpha v1.0.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 06:43:44 AM »
like u know comps actually CAN break walls and they was INTENDED to do this by BLIZZARD
but fucked up again
there is even fucking comments in this code about how comps units will go break walls

So Ed, this is why is hard to make a good balance between challenging hard mod and casual level mod ))

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
(...)
Human04 mission can be hard if you dont know where to go. Runes can be such a challenge if you learn how to deal with this ability properly.
99,9999999999999999999999999999999% of people don't have any idea what to do here because Runes never were used in this game. Neither by computer or players.

Raise of the dead skeletons were buffed, they're stronger HP armor and damage now.

Clerics I cannot import just yet. I'm too noob still to dig good enough into the code but Paladins are covering up the job for now.
(...)

I remember that I was trying to use this spell in online matches. It was more or less 12 years ago. I wasn't a good online player in this game (too slow and everyone played on max game speed) but I remember few actions when Runes actually did the job  :slight_smile:

These Skeletons kicked my ass in game but it was so cool that I wasn't even mad  :wc2:

but fucked up again

Ok, that sounds interesting and weird at the same time. They had expansion and Battle.net Edition and didn't fix any of it.

I wonder guys why you don't join your forces and re-write Warcraft 2 source code in some modern game engine like Unity. Without any bugs, without any limiters of an ancient technology and with few improvements from modern RTS games. I know that Wargus tried the same and failed, but maybe you will do better.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
(...)

(...)

I remember that I was trying to use this spell in online matches. It was more or less 12 years ago. I wasn't a good online player in this game (too slow and everyone played on max game speed) but I remember few actions when Runes actually did the job  :slight_smile:

These Skeletons kicked my ass in game but it was so cool that I wasn't even mad  :wc2:

but fucked up again

Ok, that sounds interesting and weird at the same time. They had expansion and Battle.net Edition and didn't fix any of it.

I wonder guys why you don't join your forces and re-write Warcraft 2 source code in some modern game engine like Unity. Without any bugs, without any limiters of an ancient technology and with few improvements from modern RTS games. I know that Wargus tried the same and failed, but maybe you will do better.

I try to advance through the mods depending on my mood and inspiration. There certainly can be added up way more features but main problem is, there's little to no support within my content. People expect a war2 remaster, even though don't support these new generation features. Support is there out there but not for my modding content. u8 gets 20-30-40+ viewers on daily broadcasts so it's not true that there's no interest from war2 still up to these days.
Fact is, I think most, if not all of Ed's content is wonderful, magnificent and brilliant from him to make it possible in warcraft 2 but I'm advancing through the mods as long as my mood, time and inspiration allows it since I said it earlier, there's no interest or support I see at all for them. Still, I appreciate you took the time to give a try to this mod.
In that project, its even possible to make 512x512 maps for War2 but besides many more modding capabilities for the game mechanics, units or buildings. The project have still being improved through the years if you refer to Wargus performance from previous years.

If you're looking up for warcraft 2 being done from scratch to increase it's capabilities, you can take a look into Wargus or a guy called Zhall who is doing a port to include Command & Conquer and Starcraft unit/buildings.