Author Topic: Volunteer here glad to translate the game into Simplified Chinese  (Read 16510 times)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer here glad to translate the game into Simplified Chinese
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »
Well, i think i know what to do with that:
1. I can draw any symbols on the canvas, to rasterize them. For example, i can get Unicode. I can draw them selecting any size i need.
2. next step - to convert appeared raster to war2-.fnt file.

So, i still need to know 2 things from you:
1. what are the codes of Simplified Chinese letters? From "A" to "Z". To let me know what symbols to draw.
2. what codepage you use on your OS? What are ASCII-codes from "A" to "Z" in range 0-255?

That 2 things should be enough to make a war2 font. Just a little more of my time.
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline Jack Chen

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
I see. No Chinese characters at all in the screenshot.

I am contacting a computer programmer of my own, who is also willing to get the classic game translated. He may join our discussion by today. :)

Offline Karlock

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »
Well, i think i know what to do with that:
1. I can draw any symbols on the canvas, to rasterize them. For example, i can get Unicode. I can draw them selecting any size i need.
2. next step - to convert appeared raster to war2-.fnt file.

So, i still need to know 2 things from you:
1. what are the codes of Simplified Chinese letters? From "A" to "Z". To let me know what symbols to draw.
2. what codepage you use on your OS? What are ASCII-codes from "A" to "Z" in range 0-255?

That 2 things should be enough to make a war2 font. Just a little more of my time.

Simplified Chinese use codepage  GB2312/GBK/GB18030. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/intl/code-page-identifiers)

For GB2312 , It contains 682 signs and 6763 Chinese Characters and the GBK contains 21003 Characters . Characters of GB18030 are more than 70k .

I'm worrying about the size of the generated bitmap font, huge buffer needed. :'(

Offline Jack Chen

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 02:25:01 AM »
Hi again. I found a txt, which seems to be what you asked for. Is this the Chinese ASCII Table you need?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 03:27:55 AM »
Simplified Chinese use codepage  GB2312/GBK/GB18030. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/intl/code-page-identifiers)

For GB2312 , It contains 682 signs and 6763 Chinese Characters and the GBK contains 21003 Characters . Characters of GB18030 are more than 70k .

I'm worrying about the size of the generated bitmap font, huge buffer needed. :'(
Oh, 682 signs in Simplified Chinese?
As i understand, font should have no more than 256 symbols. 1 byte per 1 symbol.
That is how all old 1-byte charsets work as i know.

Please, look at human1.tbl, 411752230 uploaded yesterday. How many bytes per 1 Chinese Character it require?
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 03:30:48 AM »
Hi again. I found a txt, which seems to be what you asked for. Is this the Chinese ASCII Table you need?
Well, i asked about a picture for each symbol, but here i can see only 2 random bytes, then ":" and then a number (it's code).
But that makes sense only if there's no more than 256 symbols in the table.
Not sure what to do if we have more...

Offline Jack Chen

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:24 AM »
1 Chinese Character= 2 bytes
1 Chinese punctuation(full-width)=2 bytes

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 07:02:01 AM »
I'd say most likely it's not possible to translate into Simplified Chinese then,
War2 is based on 1-byte charset, you have to use 2-byte. That is a problem.

I'd say you need to hook some functions drawing messages. To catch all the requests drawing message and change them to your logic.
I don't mean it's not possible, chinese version for DOS do that most likely. But that requires some kind of reverse engineering in the exe file.

Not sure if anybody here can do that.

Offline Karlock

• Critter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
I'd say most likely it's not possible to translate into Simplified Chinese then,
War2 is based on 1-byte charset, you have to use 2-byte. That is a problem.

I'd say you need to hook some functions drawing messages. To catch all the requests drawing message and change them to your logic.
I don't mean it's not possible, chinese version for DOS do that most likely. But that requires some kind of reverse engineering in the exe file.

Not sure if anybody here can do that.

But can you help with the Wargus? Use that engine, it becomes possible. Replace bitmap font print function with TTF?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:54:54 PM by Karlock »

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 05:09:40 AM »
Well, wargus is not war2, so there's no community there.
But yes, that should work on wargus.
And i'm not sure wargus use bitmap fonts at all. Most likely it uses Unicode or w/e, so you try to just edit fonts, maybe you will not need any font job.

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 09:14:24 AM »
bnet > wargus

some users only use 3 or 4 chars "-->" ,"game", "gg" ,"gg no re"

no way 256 chinese chars can work?

wargus can more than likely..but the engine still needs work to make it more like war2.

the main bnet chat maybe can 2byte.(nope its 1byte)

or maybe a chinese channel+bot that has 256 different styles of writing you type in the # of ur alphabet it combines ascii chars and maybe gets over 256

well it was an idea :)

Sure this sounds like the most realistic way to get some degree of chinese text support.

A custom 8 bit font with the most useful 255 chinese chars. I would be surprised if something vaguely like this does not already exist.

its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline Muz

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 01:00:35 AM »
What about Japanese? Is this game translatable to Japanese?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
What about Japanese? Is this game translatable to Japanese?
How many characters are in japan alphabet? It's possible if less than 256 and i'd say it's not if more...

Offline Muz

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »
Characters? Japanese has around 2200 characters. Warcraft 2 can accept only 256 characters? The PS2 version of Warcraft 2 does has a Japanese version though.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
Characters? Japanese has around 2200 characters. Warcraft 2 can accept only 256 characters? The PS2 version of Warcraft 2 does has a Japanese version though.
I see, here's also a DOS-version with Simplified Chinese support. I mean that required some sufficient modifications. Original war2 uses 1-byte chaset, that means your can use an alphabet up to 255 characters or a little less.