Author Topic: Chat bot spam  (Read 7008 times)

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
Chat bot spam
« on: December 21, 2020, 11:21:41 PM »
Why is Tupac still running amuck with his chatbots on the server.  U need tutoring on how to block shit like that?  Seriously Tupac,  wtf is wrong with you.  You've been doing this shit for 10+yrs and it's proven nothing.  The server is still here and it's not going anywhere anytime soon no matter how many decades you do this shit.  All it does is prove you're a moron.  If it didnt work 10yrs ago,  it sure as shit wont work now,  or ever.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:10:22 AM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
Re: Chat bot spam
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 02:14:29 AM »
How do you block stuff like this?
Tupac bitter. He wants the community on his server.
war2 > war3

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:26:07 AM »
This is a problem we've had to deal with before.  The last time we used iptables.  But I suspect that iL no longer has the rules I gave him that helped with it (it was many years ago).  iptables can rate limit certain types of traffic as well as do traffic shaping (prioritizing certain traffic over another).  So thats one way.  Another way is to simply disable user registrations all together and use a web based form with captcha to make new accounts.  But that wouldnt help with connection attempts/failures and could still result in traffic saturation.  So really, the best method is with a firewall,  iptables is on every linux machine so it would make sense to use that first.  If you use both of them (iptables and web based reg),  you could outright block registrations completely at the firewall so that even a failed attempt doesnt ever hit the pvpgn server and it wont saturate the server's network either.  Thats probably the best method although it's a pretty big sledgehammer ;)  I'd be willing to bet that just iptables rate limiting would make it take more time than it's worth to keep up this type of attack.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:37:36 AM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

Offline BHC-JesK

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »
This is embarrassing. Is iL the only admin capable of doing anything about this?

@iL

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:55:28 PM by BHC-JesK »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
I think it's well deserve, when you force someone with a cancer to stay in a community after his family get blackmail, this is what we call karma.

Good luck dictators.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:58:32 PM by Delete ME NOW! »
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »
I'll start banning them.
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
scratch it there is no way for me to get rid of these lol. I moderated the chat now at least they can't spam messages.
war2 > war3

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
@Tupac The community won't follow you. Your wasting your time with this bot attack.
war2 > war3

Offline woofy

• Server Admin
  • Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
I'm away from home on holiday, and won't be back for a while so can't help.  Tupac has done this before, you need to individually remove the accounts.

Tupac must be mid-20s by now? Why is he acting like a 10y/o? Are there still people this attention starved in this day and age?

Get tiktok bro.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »
There are over 800...Your saying I need to remove them all?
war2 > war3

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »
@~ToRa~ Remove them all if you must,  but yes, iL is really the only one that can do anything about this permanently because only he has SSH access to the server.  All I can do is advise what to do or what to use for rules.  We did this years ago but the servers have changed since then and I guess the IPTables rules got lost in the mix.  According to iL,  those 800 accounts were made over a long period of time but I'm not so sure about that.  It would only take 13-14hrs to make them again with a registration bot.  Probably longer than it would to remove them by hand.  If you have access to the MySQL backend,  you can get them all in 1 fellswoop because they are not very random.  There is a pattern to the naming convention he used and than can be used against him.  If you want the query to run just let me know :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:26:53 PM by {Lance} »

Offline baRa

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 11:16:02 PM »
Gee Lance you sure know your stuff. Too bad you went over to the dark side there for awhile

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 12:00:20 AM »
I have never had any issues with iL.  It was Ldir and Burnt that I was never very fond of (they are listed as fav enemies in my bio along with picka).  If Ldir hadnt let iL take over,  there wouldnt be a war2.ru anything.  He was not the right person for the job.  I've helped iL through out the years with many different things.  I never did that with Ldir and probably never would.  His personality was just as bad as his IT skills (which were non-existent).  As long as iL is still maintaining things and burnt remains out of the picture,  I'll help support the RU side of wherever war2 goes in any way I can.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:11:06 AM by {Lance} »

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 12:44:07 AM »
Yeah lance, I saw each name get made the day or so before. The name would login for a split second, write some script in the channel with password n such and then be gone. So fast, you never even saw the name. Didn't see anyone around to tell them.

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
I'll start banning them  :sob:
war2 > war3