Author Topic: Why /ignore is not enough  (Read 7207 times)

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Why /ignore is not enough
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
I have never supported the speech rules and never would.  Why?  Because /ignore exists for a reason.  You dont ban someone just because the other player is to F'ing lazy to type /ignore whoever.  The only thing that would make this a bannable offense is if these messages were getting through even after a player has done /ignore.  Since that's not possible,  it should also not be possible to ban them.
Just my private opinion why we can't just let people insult others, and let that others use /ignore and relax.

1. Firstly you should use /ignore each time you join the server. Also, you should use /ignore for each aka insults you. He can easily rejoin created another account with long unwritable name while you are ingame and continue.
Maybe there should be another command, like /ipignore. Or even /iprange_ignore_perm.
Just /ignore is almost helpless. There's also no command like /ipmute.
The nearest existing command to use in such situations is /ipban, that's why it's the easiest way to use against people understand nothing.

2. Not sure if you like to use /ignore and know he insults you, called nigger/muslim/cheater or anything else in public chat, others will read that and think if it's right or not. Maybe you prefer to not ignore him and try to clear yourself of a charge. That will confuse you, waste your time and positive spirit and let you go away.

At hte same time your insulter could be well-known as liar, who tries to offend you just for fun or w/e.

That's why my idea was to prohibit and that unfriendly shit.
That's just for your discussion, i'm thinking about my need to impose anything to the community. Each community should have admins they deserved.

If he is spamming with friends list add/remove, then that is different.  But again, you dont ban the player, you fix the problem which is a broken system command.  There really shouldnt be any ban reasons based on speech alone.
Agreed about fixing in.
But, while it's not being fixed, that sould be punished also.
Same logic as for hacking: You can fix the hacking problem my making the antihack, so why to ban for hacking until antihack is not ready? But we agree (i hope so) to let people banned for hacking, what about /f?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:36:45 AM by iL »
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Why /ignore is not enough
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
"
2. Not sure if you like to use /ignore and know he insults you, called nigger/muslim/cheater or anything else in public chat, others will read that and think if it's right or not. Maybe you prefer to not ignore him and try to clear yourself of a charge. That will confuse you, waste your time and positive spirit and let you go away.
"

No, that argument is plain retarded. Lol

Offline GaNzTheLegend

• Best War2 Player Ever
  • Ogre Mage
  • #1 on: Kali, Heat, Zone, Kahn, GameStorm, Bnet, RU
    • View Profile
    • Kali Hall Of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Quote from: iL

1. Firstly you should use /ignore each time you join the server. Also, you should use /ignore for each aka insults you. He can easily rejoin created another account with long unwritable name while you are ingame and continue.

Thats what /dnd is for.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:27:25 AM by GaNzTheLegend »
Kali IGL Stats

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
from my experience ... most of the time, if someone is insulting or harassing another player, all I had to do as Admin was private message the person and talk to them.. ask them to stop ... normally it works.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
If you need the C code to do an ipignore then just say so,  it's like a 10-15 line addition (minus the code to actually make the /ipignore command).  All it needs to do is lookup the IP of the user in the /ipignore command and ignore all msgs from that IP.  Again,  I see this as a technical issue,  not a "rules" issue.  Rule's should not be created to hide technical in-abilities.  Do you need help with coding things?  It's not beyond my own abilities and I could certainly send you the required code modifications to create such a command.  I'd also be willing to give you the PHP hook that I created so that you dont even need to use C/C++ or reboot the server everytime you make a new command.  You could code in PHP instead which maybe you understand better than C/C++.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:58:16 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
Yeah gogo lance, be useful!! I always liked you

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
how about relogs?

Offline SmurfKinG

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
yes gogo apply lance ignore code

can see it also as useful tool vs the smurf aberration

great

Offline LuNaTiC

• Peon
  • Swift fan Club leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:57 PM »
If you need the C code to do an ipignore then just say so,  it's like a 10-15 line addition (minus the code to actually make the /ipignore command).  All it needs to do is lookup the IP of the user in the /ipignore command and ignore all msgs from that IP.  Again,  I see this as a technical issue,  not a "rules" issue.  Rule's should not be created to hide technical in-abilities.  Do you need help with coding things?  It's not beyond my own abilities and I could certainly send you the required code modifications to create such a command.  I'd also be willing to give you the PHP hook that I created so that you dont even need to use C/C++ or reboot the server everytime you make a new command.  You could code in PHP instead which maybe you understand better than C/C++.

+1
Swift's fan Club leader #1

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 02:50:05 AM »
Lance, i'ts the first time you offered some real help, i appreciate it.
About /ipignore - i'm not sure it will be useful for people, it looks better than /ignore, but do they need another command? Not sure... Looks for me as more organizational than technical question now.

PHP hooks idea is great, but i'm not ready to implement it now. I'm going to upgrade to another pvpgn branch with different solution.
I'll keep im mind your offer when i be ready to make something really useful...
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html

Offline I hate naggers

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:12:42 AM »
why wouldnt they need it? it sounds awesome

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:25:54 AM »
do you guys dont understand this staff are retard and doing absolutly anything.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
why wouldnt they need it? it sounds awesome
Well, if you think so, let's try.
I hope for Lance's help as soon as has that command working.

Offline {Lance}

• Sappers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:06 PM »
If you let me know which branch you're going to be working from I can use the same branch and create .patch files that you can import.  Of course it wont work if you modify anything without first sending me the mods,  but it should be enough to go on even if you have to put the changes in manually.  Or better yet,  just send the source of whatever you're using and I'll create patches based on that.  So once you're settled on a specific branch and have made any mods to it that you plan to make,  send it over and I'll make mods to add the ignore command and PHP hooks so that you can just run the patch files and call it done.  Then you wont have to worry about restarting the server everytime you want to make a small change to something.  I dont know if you're familar with what exactly a "hook" is,  but essentially all it is, is a piece of code placed in a strategic area of a codebase to allow other code to modify those strategic areas.  Example,  hook_init,  any code placed in hook init would run during the initialization of the server.  hook_pre_login, hook_login, hook_post_login, hook_msg_output, hook_msg_receive,  etc etc.  I can place as many hooks as needed through out the code so that they are all modifyable with PHP.  The list is endless.  Modifying PVPGN truly is a breeze if you use PHP ;)  Doing this is only possible because the way we use PVPGN is not resource intensive.  We wouldnt want PHP to run a WoW server for example because of the performance considerations.  But this is war2,  not wow.  All we do is use it for chat and small DB manipulations :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:12:32 PM by {Lance} »
Dk At hall is cause I started with temple at start and didn't need the castle . Not a hack .  I wouldn't bother editing a ss btw

^---- Dellam doesnt hack!  See, even by his own admission, no hack!!  LMFAO.

Offline EviL~Ryu

• (ง︡'-'︠)ง "Bitchin!" ®©℗™
  • Dragon
  • "It's going to be Legen-(wait for it......)-DARY!"
    • View Profile
    • Clan EviL Official Page
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
EQ now plays WoW.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:53:29 PM by EviL~Ryu »

-Administrator of Clan EviL
-Developer (Trivia Development and Analytics)