Author Topic: NAT Traversal Patch - Hosting games without the need for port forwarding  (Read 19221 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
I've been working on a patch that allows you to host games without port forwarding (nor change any settings).

To be able to use it you'll have to download the wsock32.dll file below and place it into your game folder while the game is not running.

Both, the host and the player that likes to join the game will need to have the file in their game folder, it doesn't work if only one of them got the file.

Note: The patch is also included in War2Combat 46 in case you don't know how to copy a file into your game folder:
http://en.war2.ru/downloads/

Even if you've already forwarded your port and you can host games, you can still download the file (It will allow you to join games hosted by those that didn't forward the port).

It should work for around 80% of the players. It does very highly likely not work for those that often cause "conflicts" (Symmetric NAT), but you can give it a try anyways if you like.

It only works on the main .ru server, the backup server doesn't support it yet.

** Edit by mousetopher **

NOTE: after you install the file you still might see the message from "note" saying your ports aren't forwarded -- that's ok! as long as you have "HP" by your username on the status page then you're good to go :newthumbsup:

** end edit by mousetopher **
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:03:08 AM by fois »

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
amazing, great work !!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
squeak!

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Thx sir!!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
i can't believe everyone was talking about holepunching as a hosting fix for years and then fois actually did it & nobody has anything to say about it xD anyone been using it yet? i just got it installed but I don't think enough other people have it yet
squeak!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
i can't believe everyone was talking about holepunching as a hosting fix for years and then fois actually did it & nobody has anything to say about it xD anyone been using it yet? i just got it installed but I don't think enough other people have it yet

WTF. This is clearly a hack that give some people an advantage, because if they can be the host then they can pick the teams. This is a real advantage, nobody can claim it isn't.

I demand that it be automatically updated from the official version. Putting the file in the WC2 folder it too technical. Maybe some noobs who don't understand pro strategies think this is ok, but IMO it is a hack and I would never use it.

fois is a hacker.

( this is sarcasm, just in case it doesn't translate ;) )
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me

WTF. This is clearly a hack that give some people an advantage, because if they can be the host then they can pick the teams. This is a real advantage, nobody can claim it isn't.

I demand that it be automatically updated from the official version. Putting the file in the WC2 folder it too technical. Maybe some noobs who don't understand pro strategies think this is ok, but IMO it is a hack and I would never use it.

fois is a hacker.

( this is sarcasm, just in case it doesn't translate ;) )

omg, lamby so salty
squeak!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
Salty emote added for lambchops ! :salty: :salty: :salty:
squeak!

Offline Lambchops

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Now you're just making fun of me.

Cool  :thumbsup:
its gooder to hax hard and NEVER get caught!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
wtf you started it haha
squeak!

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
added a shortlink for this thread http://en.war2.ru/holepunch spread the word people!
squeak!

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: NAT Traversal Patch - Hosting games without the need for port forwarding
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
#wow #whoa

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
this is in a bad section of the forums... thats why nobody is talking about it. i didnt even know this thread existed until mouse said "en.war2.ru/holepunch" 10 seconds ago.

Offline mousEtopher

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • War2.me
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
i keep forgetting this was posted in the Mods section, that's probably why no one has really acknowledged it yet. so in case this is still news to anybody:

THE HOSTING FIX IS HERE PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please discuss.
squeak!

Offline Tolean

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
I added it
 Anything else I should do?

Offline iL

• Administrator
  • Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
I added it
 Anything else I should do?

join war2, check status: http://server.war2.ru/status/ and make sure you have green HP for your account in the list of users. Then everything is fine for you!
Need help to translate War2Combat to German, French, Italian, Polish or another language: http://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,4728.0.html
Please, contact me if you are interested in that.