Author Topic: War2 Social Media  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
War2 Social Media
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:12:26 PM »
Hola all.  I was wondering if there was anyone here that might be interested in advertising on the War2 Facebook pages and group?  This could be anyone who would like to post Youtube vids, twitch streams, or anything else related to Warcraft II to reach a wider audience.

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: War2 Social Media
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
Can't wait to get more people to join a game with a population of a maximum of 19 players on at any time!!! I'm sure they will stay around.

Offline Mad-Luster77

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
If we are to do any advertising, we should be advertising the game, in general, to groups for retro gamers, rts lovers, computer gamers, etc.  Work on recruiting more people.  I know most people would disagree, but I feel like advertising the GoG server might be the most successful method of bringing in new players.  I'm sure GOG generates a decent amount of traffic, and giving War2 a boost on their site would put it on the radar for a lot more people.

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:26:20 PM »
I'm convinced the only way we can rebuild this game is with like 2k+ in advertising

And we advertise a tournament that has at least 1k payout to beginners.. which means we need to also have a tournament that also pays intermediate 2k and pro 3k.

Rebuilding the community will definitely not be cheap. And if it's not done right it shouldn't be done at all. Otherwise we are just pissing money away

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
Or even 1000,  1500, and 2000

But just advertising isnt enough. They have to have a reason to come. A $1000 tournament for beginners would probably be that inventive. .. but we need to also have other intermediate/pro tournaments with bigger payouts going to discourage current players from trying to join the beginners tournament.

And minimum game requirements should be part of it... like 250 games to play beginners. 500 to play intermediate.. 1000 to play pro. Something along those lines.

Advertise a tournament 3 months in advance so they have time to learn the basics.

And "amount of game" requirements would also discourage a pro from pretending to be a newb.. like "damn I gotta fake sucking for 250+ games to qualify for this beginners tournament?"

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
And then even if we get through all of those Hoops, and we get to that point. And we host the tournament. We still need to analyze the play of the top four winners of the beginners tournament just to make sure there was no foul play. Which should be pretty easy to identify if a pro still managed to sneak his way into the beginner's tournament

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
Or just advertise a beginner's tournament for more cash and then still analyze the play. If a pro were to sneak in there would be little things that would be obvious. We would be able to tell, and then disqualify them and give the money to the next to best beginner or whatever

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 11:41:02 PM »
I think that's a pretty hefty sum of money to put out on advertising and a tournament.  Where would we source that amount of money from?  However, I'm not against paid advertising if we have a funding source.  I think it would help drive some traffic here but we should certainly be prepared for it when it arrives here.

We have 1,263 members in the War2Server group, 1,115 followers for the War2Combat Edition page, and 2,286 followers for the War2 Tides of Darkness page on Facebook.  Although, the members and followers most likely overlap, I think we still have a pretty decent following on there.  Not much advertising is going on with the groups and pages in general.  They look pretty dead right now and even if we tried posting some general things here and there it would probably draw in some engagement but not very much.  I believe that, if done properly, posting regularly with posts that encourage and promote engagement would do wonders.  The more engagement there is, the more of an audience there will be.  For a while, I was posting on the group and pages daily, but now that I look back on this, I probably could have done a better job.  I think one of the goals with the current followers would be to bring about nostalgic feelings that would encourage them to get back into playing.

The en.war2.ru site looks pretty dead as well.  Server status no longer updates and the last news update is from March 2021.  Does anyone besides mousEtopher have access to fix the server status on the page?  Does anyone have access to update the news feed on this page?  It seems like we have some things going on but they are only happening on the forum. 

My time is pretty limited nowadays, which is why I initially posted this topic.  I was hoping there would be some players that may be interested in trying to advertise or even get their twitch streams out there to a wider audience by becoming editors on the Facebook pages.  The players that are active enough to regularly post on this forum, come up with all these ideas of what needs to be done to help the server, and complain that the admins aren't doing enough... this is an opportunity to put those ideas into action without relying any admin to do it for you.  I have always believed, and still believe, that progress for this server relies on it's community of players and what they can contribute to keep it going. 

Mad-Luster77 is right on point for recommending one of the audiences we should be trying to advertise to.  I'm not opposed to the GOG server, but there's no one on it.  But, maybe some traffic could eventually make it's way there.

So, here's what I would do to help this community (and what I probably will try to do if I have enough time to do it)...

1. Get with iL or whoever to fix the en.war2.ru server status.
2. Request access to the en.war2.ru news feed to post updates, get access, and post updates regularly.
3. Change the names of the War2Server group to Warcraft II Server, the War2Combat page to Warcraft II Combat Edition, and the War2 Tides of Darkness page to Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness on Facebook.  (Not sure about the limitations on changing the names, but I would try.)  I think Warcraft II will resonate more with older players than War2.
4.  Advertise an event like War2 Festival.  I would hype up this event with posts that encourage engagement from old players leading up to the event.  Cover a wide range of maps , both competitive (for all you GOW fiends) and for fun (peon olympics comes to mind).  And for the most part, we need to promote fun because the players we need to draw in are rusty as hell.  They want a nostalgic piece of fun whether they played GOW or custom maps so I wouldn't base this entire event on being competitive or winning some money prize.  Let's get together and play a game that we had fun with when we were younger.   
5.  Try to encourage the remaining community of players to get involved in trying to promote the server in their own ways.  They have access to so much without even being an admin on the server.  If you feel there needs to be more advertising, then I'm more than willing to give editor privileges on Facebook for you to advertise.  If you have a twitch stream, I'm more than wiling to give you editor privileges on Facebook for you to post your stream and reach a wider audience.  If you're hosting tournaments or leagues, again, I'm more than willing to give you editor privileges on Facebook for you to reach a wider audience.   

So... I might make all of this happen.  It would really be nice if there were some others who were driven enough to get involved and help do what I have recommended.  If not, I guess I'll try to do the best I can to make all of this happen on my own.

Someone, please hold my banana while I try to do some strongest monkey in the world type shit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 11:55:22 PM by Rit »

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 12:27:07 AM »
Another random admin comming out from nowhere proposing things that we already propose for the last 20 years.

This server will be dead for ever cuz we cant get rid of those useless admins, you cant save that server, only the game, but if you want to save the game you must create a new server where we dont have those liar admins in our way, including you, smurfrit.
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Harrywangs

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:50:45 AM »
1) Who is Rit? Ritalin? Idk anyone's names on here.

2) Tourney won't work. At least not in the sense of new people. Returning? MMAAAYYYBEEEEE but they have to believe they will come back, "unrust" and beat top players at this point..... far fetched. Otherwise in regards to lesser tier tourneys with new names, you can bet your ass existing players will play.

3) Server page works fine. I think there is an old one and a new one?  http://server.war2.ru/status/

4) You just named 80% of the issue yourself and you have it as well. "My time is pretty limited nowadays"

5) Telling people to go to GoG, an even more dead server is not a good idea (posted before as well). Bot should have been there in the 1st place advertising war2.ru.

People, use your money wisely. Do not advertise and spend money on a game that has 23 people on average on it during the summer months. Wait until fall/winter.

Your requests:

1) iL doesn't give access to almost anyone except our new admin who is RUS and went MIA.

2) Access again/Request for iL to do

3) Access again/Request for iL to do

4) War2 Festival was a yearly thing for a while, people did come back but short term only; I want to say. It is more along the lines of what Tk is saying. Promotion of fun does not entice most good players. People who play for "fun" now have a hard time on the server already. We don't need to cater to good players though, so that works if you can get that target market.

5)  Everyone has ideas and very few will do anything. I think it's mostly accepted that it is what it is and it is a dying game with the same old people. Too old, too little dedication, too busy, too little, too late. Few people have the motivation to do anything and even if so, keep doing it. Most won't be on the same page in terms of organizing and operation.

There is also a lack of leadership. I don't necessarily mean admins per se but just leadership in general.

Duda's league is fun. I see more people joining that.

I know I've been basically 98% pessimistic with my response but year after year after year after year I hear the same thing and nothing happens.

Offline Nox

• Death Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 01:11:54 AM »
1) Who is Rit? Ritalin? Idk anyone's names on here.

2) Tourney won't work. At least not in the sense of new people. Returning? MMAAAYYYBEEEEE but they have to believe they will come back, "unrust" and beat top players at this point..... far fetched. Otherwise in regards to lesser tier tourneys with new names, you can bet your ass existing players will play.

3) Server page works fine. I think there is an old one and a new one?  http://server.war2.ru/status/

4) You just named 80% of the issue yourself and you have it as well. "My time is pretty limited nowadays"

5) Telling people to go to GoG, an even more dead server is not a good idea (posted before as well). Bot should have been there in the 1st place advertising war2.ru.

People, use your money wisely. Do not advertise and spend money on a game that has 23 people on average on it during the summer months. Wait until fall/winter.

Your requests:

1) iL doesn't give access to almost anyone except our new admin who is RUS and went MIA.

2) Access again/Request for iL to do

4) War2 Festival was a yearly thing for a while, people did come back but short term only; I want to say. It is more along the lines of what Tk is saying. Promotion of fun does not entice most good players. People who play for "fun" now have a hard time on the server already. We don't need to cater to good players though, so that works if you can get that target market.

5)  Everyone has ideas and very few will do anything. I think it's mostly accepted that it is what it is and it is a dying game with the same old people. Too old, too little dedication, too busy, too little, too late. Few people have the motivation to do anything and even if so, keep doing it. Most won't be on the same page in terms of organizing and operation.

There is also a lack of leadership. I don't necessarily mean admins per se but just leadership in general.

Duda's league is fun. I see more people joining that.

I know I've been basically 98% pessimistic with my response but year after year after year after year I hear the same thing and nothing happens.

Rit is someone that appear around 2015 during the 2.0.2 CLIENT feud, when i discover that peoples where using the old rigged bt net clients to hacks on war2ru.

He appear on the forum with that new aka as an admin claiming he was an oldschool player called ritalin.

But kinda feel like He was there only to manipulate peoples and rigged community votes in the pool we were making to close 2.0.2 clients.

He is definitly a smurf, probably one of the hundreads KGB/M.I.T secret admins programmars iL got.

Pretty sure its Lightbringer- too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:15:29 AM by Nox »
Mr.120apm aka U8! Best player of the world losing 4v3 against Phillip5256.

Offline Rit

• Grunt
    • View Profile
    • Rit's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »

Not exactly on this one... I am an admin for the Facebook group and pages.  All other things you have mentioned are pretty valid points but I'm still going to try.

He is definitly a smurf, probably one of the hundreads KGB/M.I.T secret admins programmars iL got.

Is it just me or does it seem like Equinox's paranoid delusions have gotten worse? 

Offline tk[as]

• Server Admin
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 08:59:22 AM »
Haters gonna hate.

Community needs like 300+ new users to keep this game going another 5+ years.

Of those 300.. probably half will quit the first year. And probably 30% every year after that.

That seems to  be the trend.. about 30% of active users leave the community every year

Offline ~ToRa~

• Server Admin
  • Death Knight
  • The General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »
Haters gonna hate.

Community needs like 300+ new users to keep this game going another 5+ years.

Of those 300.. probably half will quit the first year. And probably 30% every year after that.

That seems to  be the trend.. about 30% of active users leave the community every year

I’m thinking to buy a PS5 and games good on there?
war2 > war3

Offline O4L

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
    • Warcraft 2 Server
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
Don't be a coward. Buy a Xbox one and we can 1vs1 Nuketown.