Author Topic: Adam's 52 Pud Pack  (Read 3549 times)

Offline adamlhumphreys

• Peon
    • View Profile
Adam's 52 Pud Pack
« on: October 10, 2020, 04:22:46 AM »
Greetings! :D

One day I had a hankering to play some War2 again, (almost done re-playing all the campaigns, only two maps left)! Upon discovering WarCraft II is still alive and kicking, I blew off some digital dust and decided to put together what I considered some of my best refined maps form about two decades ago, all complete with original dates from Dec. 2000 to June 2002. My earliest map seems to be dated at Dec. 1998, the same year we got our first computer.

I never felt like I was too big into the online gameplay, as comp-stomps and tower defense maps were probably my favorite. (Still hate air though!) I played under the names of AttackPeasant, Pa’dwells, MasterTerrain, and apparently an odd amalgamation of those 3 being xDoHx-AP.PD.MT.

Map-making was a bit of a creative outlet for me that I very much enjoyed. I loved the texture and design of the in-games maps and wanted to make maps that had that same feel. If I liked it enough, I’d re-purpose it. Apparently I strongly divided into two distinct map types:
  • Strict symmetrical and patterned, in which there’s usually trees or mountains as a barrier, many probably best for a comp-stomp, but not all. Some fun, some outright strange.
  • Rustically asymmetrical, in which I felt I had surpassed the in-game maps from a visual perspective, developing a characteristically unique way of fringing the trees.
Maps Included:
Single-Player:
Spoiler
Danath's Army:
Spoiler

Darson:
Spoiler

Dead By Dawn:
Spoiler

Defiler's Plague (Co Op):
Spoiler

Holocaust (Co-Op):
Spoiler

Holocaust:
Spoiler

Manic:
Spoiler

Mission Impossible:
Spoiler

The Black Knight's Revenge (Mini):
Spoiler

The Black Knight's Revenge (multiple):
Spoiler

The Gold Rush:
Spoiler

The Midnight Attack:
Spoiler

The Netherlands:
Spoiler

The River:
Spoiler

The True Alamo:
Spoiler

Warcraft:
Spoiler

Mission 01-04:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Objective 01-03:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Multi-Player Asymmetrical:
Spoiler
Europe BNE:
Spoiler

Manic BNE:
Spoiler

Mini River Fork BNE:
Spoiler

One Way BNE:
Spoiler

Peasant BNE:
Spoiler

The Hunt BNE:
Spoiler

The Netherlands BNE:
Spoiler

Universal Map BNE:
Spoiler

Multi-Player Symmetrical and/or Patterned:
Spoiler
Battle Field BNE:
Spoiler

Bubble BNE:
Spoiler

Castle 1 on 1:
Spoiler

Circle BNE:
Spoiler

Circle for Two BNE:
Spoiler

Defiler's Plague BNE:
Spoiler

Double Take BNE:
Spoiler

Ice BNE:
Spoiler

Land Squares BNE:
Spoiler

Long Isles BNE:
Spoiler

Mad House BNE:
Spoiler

Nazi BNE:
Spoiler

Quad BNE:
Spoiler

Same Start BNE:
Spoiler

Side by Side BNE:
Spoiler

Star BNE:
Spoiler

The Cramp BNE:
Spoiler

Multi-Player Scenario:
The oddest ones out are the two Scenario maps, the “Mage-Death Knight War” being pretty much exclusively that. Your magic-enabled units mine gold, harvest lumber, and attack. In “War,” the tower is a gold depot, but could also be played as a single peasant start. Probably a most terrible map, but there for the LOLs!
Spoiler
Mage-Death Knight War:
Spoiler

War:
Spoiler

Download links:
Adam's 52 Pud Pack.zip
Adam's 52 Pud Pack (With Mini-Maps).zip
Adam's 52 Pud Pack (1024 JPG).zip

Artistically, 20 years later, I look at maps like “Mysterious Dragon Isle” and “Skull Isle” and think... I might make just one more, and I have Queen Chrysalis in mind. ^-^ (Plus there’s one I apparently never populated with units to post later as well.)

Don’t shoot me, but as a fair disclaimer, to this day I’m still not exactly sure what makes a map a “Ladder” map, but still thought Cel's Ladder Maps Pack looked pretty awesome! Looking forward to checking out Return To The Storm as well! (If someone could explain a “Ladder” map, that’d be awesome. I think I know, but...)
I made maps pretty much for fun, so whether you love ‘em or hate ‘em, perhaps a mixture of both, I figured there’s no point in them laying stagnant on my drive any longer, so enjoy, (and perhaps I’ll do the same myself once again)!
-ALH
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:09:16 AM by adamlhumphreys »

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Adam's 52 Pud Pack
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
how to make icon like "blizzard" or "ladder"

https://forum.war2.ru/index.php/topic,3837.msg63017.html#msg63017
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Certified MENSA Genius Brain (smart)

• "The Architect"
  • Global Moderator
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »
These are very aesthetically pleasing maps.  Although one of those maps is a swastika  ???

Offline adamlhumphreys

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
Szwagier, I meant I was curious to the purpose of said maps to receive such a designation.

Hello MENSA, and thank you! Keep in mind I was probably 15 at the time and didn't think much of it apart from the primary idea that such a symbol is certainly related to war despite it's original purpose of meaning being peace and good will. I figured I'd just throw it in with the rest of them unless asked to remove before the post could be approved. Can't say it's really been play-tested, as I don't recall any online sessions, and of course I don't believe the computer AI worked too well that I recall with such a layout. Even with players, I'm sure the gameplay is probably radically different than usual, probably similar to the Long Isles map I also posted.

Offline Cel

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 04:50:44 AM »
The way I see it, this is more about how finished the map is and how it is supposed to be played and of course if it is played often and liked by other people.

For one of my maps to become ladder (in my view) it has to be bringing something different to the table that other ladder maps dont have already gameplay wise, it should be playable in pure melee settings with any resource configuration available and should have default unit restrictions and would not have to be hosted in fixed order (like friends for example).
That is the way I see things for my maps but you can feel free to apply your own rules for whatever you do.

If your maps are great and people start to play them a lot, and you feel players really start to play competitively on them this is probably a good time to give your fans a ladder version!
(Ladder maps participate in the ranking and elo system)

Hopefully that helps, there is no specific "rules" for that because players can always choose not to play these maps if they dont like them.

I have had a look at some of your maps I would love to have the names of your maps on the pictures you gave us and separate download links for them.
Some really look cool I will probably download and play them on stream in a near future if you dont mind me doing that  :thumbsup:

Edit:
you can use [ spoiler ][ / spoiler ] blocks to put your maps into something foldable.
the best would be to have a list for each cathegory with map names and their picture right bellow it so it is easy to pick the ones you want to try first :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:57:37 AM by Cel »

Offline adamlhumphreys

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:44:10 AM »
If the ranking and "elo," (not quite sure what that is), system you're referring to concerns the players themselves, then that's exactly what I suspected initially, hence "Ladder." As far as the maps themselves, that's actually more subjective than I anticipated. I'll say 20 years ago when I made these maps, for me, to designate a map as "BNE," it also needed to function well under default settings with one peasant and/or any resource configuration, and ideally not have to be hosted in fixed order as you said. Of course I realize not all of them have strict adherence to that, as "Europe," "Peasant," and "Universal Map" are a little lop-sided, as well as "Side by Side," "Circle," and "Mad House" as far as player location. So it'd make sense for me that a Ladder map would be most optimal with respect to these attributes. ^-^

I went ahead and edited the post, so feel free to take a look! (Wasn't too much more work--faster than conglomerating them together. Probably should've done it the first time but feared the page might be a little heavy.) Download available as well.
I don't mind at all, as it'd be nice for them to see the light of day! :D

Thank you Cel!