Poll

Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch available for multiplayer?

Yes, but only 832x480
1 (4.5%)
Yes, but only 960x544
2 (9.1%)
Yes, all resolutions, even those above 960x544
16 (72.7%)
No, keep it for single player only
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: November 06, 2021, 09:00:06 AM

Author Topic: [Poll] Allow Widescreen / High resolution patch for multiplayer games?  (Read 7360 times)

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:04:16 AM by fois »

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Allow Widescreen / High resolution patch for multiplayer games?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »
Maybe you can make it like in StarCraft? They can switch f5 old-new

Also only people who are active should vote, that would be sad if players who doesnt Play vote
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:13:01 AM by Szwagier »
http://www.youtube.com/user/SzwagierR

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Warcraft II Widescreen / High resolution patch for multiplayer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »
nice to see you again friend. I think the 960x544 is already harder to interact with. Bigger would be even harder. Haven't tested up the other lower resolution but this one seems pretty okay for it's purpose. At least for single player and only it's my opinion. Not sure how others may see it for multiplayer. This would affect as well for multiplayer games like Chop farms which precisely relies on hidden player location and reactions. The reaction time would need to be even faster with higher resolution.

I'm not sure if you were familiar with Wargus but that game has different and higher resolutions rather than 640x480 so as far as a community developer told me, if not all have the same resolution it may bring more advantages to one or different players. I have experienced Wargus and the game definetely feels different with more overall sight of the battlefield.

Offline Available

• Global Moderator
  • Grunt
  • We're smarter than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »
Please do not rush with it

1. Leave the classic mode as it is now.

2. At least information about the use of this modification must be present in the status page or be accessible in another simple way
Maybe even this modification should be the option of the general mode of the game War2Modern, which will include the rest of the game changing improvements. You better to cooperate with Mistral to let server know about this mode.

3. After solving the availability of information about the use of this modification, good thing be an option with an customizable game-area size, for example, 22x22 or other for for monitors 16x10 or 5x4, etc.

...Someday probably the entire 128x128 can be placed on the screen, at least now with a resolution of 5k it is already possible horizontally.
But in fact, starting with some size, with a really huge monitor, an increase in information on the screen begins to interfere and will only cause problems with micromanagement.
Therefore, the huge screen will give the best result for streamers and observers.

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:15:32 AM »
Maybe before we add it on normal server, lets make it on backup and test it?

Equinox - the dumbest person in this game, do not argue with an idiot, because he will bring you to his level and overcome with experience

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »
I can try to collaborate with Fois later and maybe add it into war2mod? then put it on to backup serv for tests.
dunno if will be possible though.

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »
Clearly it's an advantage to whoever uses it. What if you don't have a widescreen?

Offline maciek

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 08:16:34 AM »
Clearly it's an advantage to whoever uses it. What if you don't have a widescreen?
what's the problem of downloading it?

Offline Szwagier

• Ogre Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 09:11:26 AM »

In modern games you got patches, noone care that you dont like changes, like in dota2 most popular meme xD

https://external-preview.redd.it/3j_Ojb-d503eOgZDOwlpCdFo1eNyRtMSzV2KdGRXCwU.jpg?auto=webp&s=22910164da33799d1350abcbdad226f24a26d2ca

here we can vote as community, so if more players want it, we should add it, ofc before we did it, we need test it and there should be limit resolution, maybe 960x544 should be max

Offline fois

• Grunt
  • Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 04:40:15 PM »

Yeah that's a good idea, I can try to make it working on the backup server first

I can try to collaborate with Fois later and maybe add it into war2mod? then put it on to backup serv for tests.

I should be able to get it done. You have to make your new features like OBS and everything working with it though!

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
Nice!  I’m eager to try it on multiplayer games to see how it feels.

Offline Shotgun

• Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 08:09:18 AM »

Yeah that's a good idea, I can try to make it working on the backup server first

I should be able to get it done. You have to make your new features like OBS and everything working with it though!

They release patches to fix mistakes. War2 has been played for over 25 years without needing patches. All this does is give advantages to certain players (much like editing hotkeys). Have it on the back up server for people to muck around with sure, but don't go screwing with the main server.

Offline maciek

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »
They release patches to fix mistakes. War2 has been played for over 25 years without needing patches. All this does is give advantages to certain players (much like editing hotkeys). Have it on the back up server for people to muck around with sure, but don't go screwing with the main server.

Shotgun is type of player that haven't downloaded black to pink patch so he can use black color as an excuse and call people using patch cheaters. I wouldn't take his opinion into any considaration

Offline Player

• Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
Looks like the whole community has voted already.  Let’s put in on main server so I can play some real games with it!

Offline Vendar

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »
All this does is give advantages to certain players (much like editing hotkeys)

Lol, it's not giving advantages to certain players :D It's just updating the game. Without it you won't have these players, cause they will prefer to play some more advanced games like... well... Age of Empires 1  DE?! 

In my opinion Warcraft 2 desperately needs any improvements and these should be already implemented 10 years ago if you wanted to have new players here.

Something perfect would be a Remastered version same way Starcraft 1 was remastered (with HD sprites, zoom, custom hotkeys etc.) or even new engine created from scratch, but I know all of that are just a dreams of a fool. Nowadays Blizzard cares about $$ only so there will never be official remaster for War2 or War1. Also they failed with remastering War3 so maybe that's better this way :D

Danny already mentioned Wargus and that project was an attempt in rewriting Warcraft 2 to make it a more modern game. I was modding Wargus years ago and unfortunately this engine is clunky, bugged and it feels like there is something wrong with this engine itself.
Also there is "Chronicles of the Second War" project but this one is a huge disappointment for me, because it's more Warcraft 3 than 2 but their audience loves it.

Anyway it's awesome that there are still people here who want to work on 26 years old War2 source code to make any improvements. You are amazing guys  :clap:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:09:04 AM by Vendar »