Author Topic: Random maps on server  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Random maps on server
« on: July 17, 2023, 08:47:17 AM »
Since old IronMan ladder is very fucked up and cursed and also hard to change map packs regularly
and u can actually know what map was choosen before start (very cursed). :poo:

Now created a way to host random maps (new era IronMan). :thumbsup:

The main thing that needs to be considered is that players must have same map packs
I not found safe way to download maps from war2mod normally
and also not want put them inside cuz it will make mpq archive extremally fat.
so for now u can just download maps from my github or use prog that will download it for u.

archive have folder named Random with file random.pud and maps in other folder (maps just named from 0 to something).

To play with random maps u just need to host this Random/random.pud map and other player join you.
Lobby will have 3 spots - 2 for players and 1 for obs. (as u can see in video u can also try test play with comps)

Map is unknown before game start because it being replaced not when countdown 5 sec (like default ironman) but when game actually starts and u see black screen, so u cannot know beforehand what u will get.

p.s. if u not want use prog u can just download maps manually https://github.com/Mistral-war2ru/War2RandomMaps/raw/main/Random.zip
the only thing prog does is downloading this file and unpack in maps folder.
p.s.s. the folder MUST have be placed in Maps folder and be named Random and map must be named random.pud (server checking for exact hosted map name of "Random/random.pud" for this feature to work)

known bugs: obs sometimes drop, especially when random got 2 players map for u like Atols.pud, there is simply no place to put obs, i trying to spawn him anyways but sometimes fails.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:03:10 AM by Mistral »

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Random maps on server
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »
So if anyone have suggestions u can put there.
I planing to make random maps game mode into something like ladder (like there was default ironman ladder or something)
we can have one big good map pack for it, or can make something like maps of the month maybe.
like put 10 maps for month and then other 10 in next etc etc.

I suggest we can have some respectable members of community like u8, duda, tora
to make map pack or something and then i can put them on git so everyone can have same map pack.

for now i just put there 61 somewhat normal and/or popular maps.

p.s. if u want to just play with friend in this game mode with some of your map packs just put your maps in Random/maps with names from 0.pud 1.pud 2.pud and etc and make sure your friend have same maps in same order.

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
Re: Random maps on server
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »
ok now not need prog
maps being downloaded automatically when you join server
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 02:59:02 PM by Mistral »