Author Topic: Wall Balance mode (multiplayer)  (Read 5785 times)

Offline pianolarva

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Wall Balance mode (multiplayer)
« on: June 14, 2024, 07:16:52 PM »
Now it's on the correct forum.

Main changes:

- Walling will be done with actual walls (hopefully).
- Modifications to make every unit/spell/upgrade useful (biggest changes are about archers, bloodlust, healing, and blizzard. The rest are smaller adjustments)

That's about it. Stats are almost the same so it'll be easy to get into. Unused spells and archers will come into play.

Detailed info (I will be updating this):

UNITS and BUILDINGS:
  • ARCHERS (+): 0 damage, 11 piercing damage (previously it was 3 and 6) – They were too weak before (mainly because of their low fire rate). They serve the same role (choke points, repairing peons, behind some kind of wall, dragons), but now there should be a reason to spend on them because they are better in combat, even though footmen will still clearly beat them 1v1. Meet them at the coastline. There's also an advantage they have when they attack in numbers: you can target one footman with 5 archers, but 5 footmen can't go after one archer (tested 7v7 against computer and archers win). Damage could be a bit more (prev 0 9).
  • Footmen (-): 5,3dmg (6,3) 1armor (2) – had to, reducing dmg is the way to help archers (Increasing archers dmg even more, caused problems). Ballistas go to 100hp (should be at 95), dk and peons becoming barely more resistant. These changes should only be noticeable against archers, so its not a big change.
  • Knights (-):  6,4dmg (8,4) 2armor (4). New addition: Knights start with 80hp (previously 90). Paladin Training adds 10hp. – Ratio against footmen is the same. Hp at 70 and 80? There would be less pals around, less bloodlust.
  • Ballistas: samey (-10hp)
  • Gryphons/Dragons (+): 120hp, 20dmg (16), 2000 gold. – They were too weak for being the most expensive unit.
  • Walls (+): x4 reduced building time, it's fast but not immediate. Building cost now 100gold 50wood (20 10) – Note that walls aren't repairable, but improvements to archers and towers will make up for that.
  • Towers: samey (dmg is at 1 12)
  • Buildings: same, but they may get a .75 hp reduction in the future
UPGRADES and SPELLS:
  • Footman armor upgrade (-): +1 instead of +2  –  to match the dmg upgrade. I also fixed an inconsistency in which the first upgrade would help footmen against arrows, unlike the rest. Now armor upgrades don't defend against arrows. It's also relevant for skeletons, so that they have some power.
  • Footman dmg upgrade (-): +1 instead of +2.
  • Archer arrow upgrades (+) : +3 both (prev +1) – It should be +2 to make it similar to what the foot upg does. But like ballistas upgrades, I think it should be a bit more.
  • Ballista upgrades (+): +25 both (+15), Gold 800 and 2000 for the second upgrade – no one used it. Each upgrade gave extra 25%dmg. You needed many cats to get value out of it, and I don't think that ever happened. This is closer to where it should be.
  • Ranger training (+): +20hp – so that you get a 4th shot if knights reach you.
  • Ranger scouting (+): 500 gold (1500)
  • +1Range upgrade (+): 500 gold.
  • Berserker Regeneration (+): 500 gold. – if only it healed 10hp, it would be somewhat balanced against the +3 ranger upgrade, but it doesn't.
  • +3dmg for rangers (+): 1500 gold – It's not as strong as I thought, so I'll leave it in the game.
  • Holy Vision: same. Could be lowered a bit.
  • HEALING (+): From using full mana to heal 42.5hp, to healing 127hp – now 2mana x 1hp. Less would be constant healing, more just makes BL better. It's powerful now; grunts should run away, and unlusted ogres too. It uses autohealing to avoid this problem: healing takes an animation, and you can only heal 40hp each time you cast it, so in battle you would heal very little (even at 1xhp you would have to heal many times. It just doesnt work).
  • Exorcism (+): now you can kill dk with 60mana instead of 240 – Damaging a dk doesn't matter much unless you kill him, which now doesn't require full mana. With the skeleton modifications, it now kills one skeleton with 80mana. It's at 1mana x hp, otherwise, most of the time you'd rather heal your units than use it against skeletons. DKs will have to move carefully because any pal can run at them an kill them instantly.
  • BLOODLUST (-): fixed at x2. 100mana (50). Increased building time to 200 (100) equal to healing – It still is the most powerful spell in the game. Balance between a spell that increases damage and a spell that heals dmg should be easy (if BL increases 50%, increase heal to match that) but to have both equal while around 100-150mana isnt. I think it would be better to have BL at x1.5 (less would be little dmg, more wouldnt be matched by healing. Actually, less would be better.), and at 100mana (more would mean pals can heal at 130 and orcs dont have a counter); that's the number that makes it about equal with healing.
  • Runes: same – Mana cost should not be cheaper because it would be used all over the battlefield. At 150 you would have ogres using it on gold mines like blizzard.
  • Fireball: (+): 80mana (100)
  • Death Coil (+): 80mana (100) – I think it did little damage for its cost, like -45hp to a knight for 100 mana.
  • Slow: same – While slowing attack speed of enemies is powerful, hasted units can choose their matchup.
  • Polymorph (+): mana 150.
  • Inviz: same
  • Flame Shield: same
  • BLIZZARD/DECAY (-): mana 100 (25), doing less damage. – You used it so much on the gold mine, that now it's basically just for that. It's just two showers that will only kill some peons and injure most of them. To have the same effect it had, you'll need two mages or finish them off with runes. It's no longer useful against buildings, ogres, dragons, there are other options against that. The correct fix would be decreasing the ridiculous range too, but that's not an option.
  • Haste: same
  • Raise dead (+): Skeletons have 80hp, 6dmg, 4pierDmg, 0armor (pals are 90,6,4,2)
  • Unholy Armor: same
  • Whirlwind: same
I barely changed gold costs even though they deserve new numbers.
Tested and somehow Unholy Armor stays at 100mana

Download:

I applied all these changes into the following maps attached below. Then you just go to the War2Mod channel on the left panel, and play it with the "use map settings" option.
- There's Two Garden (a KPud similar to GOW)
- And Great White North (GWN4) without the newest updates (archers, ranger, dragons, skels, exo)
- Also added both maps against the computer to test it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 01:09:26 PM by pianolarva »

Offline Pandaprewmaster325

• Grunt
  • Warcraft forgot its roots.
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Balance mode (multiplayer)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 07:05:12 PM »
Are walls even that good? I get they can block the path but you need to construct each little segment right? Damn that would require a good amount of work on the player side.
Today warcraft is not the warcraft it used to be , lets stick to what made warcraft warcraft! ORCS AND HUMANS

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 07:52:40 PM »
Am I missing something? What changed?
Today warcraft is not the warcraft it used to be , lets stick to what made warcraft warcraft! ORCS AND HUMANS

Offline pianolarva

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 05:43:33 PM »
@Pandaprewmaster325 They are basically 120hp.

@Mistral My wishlist for the trig editor. I see it as a tool for balancing, not for creating new games.
- rework/improvements on berserker upgrades.
- can fire rate of units change?
- bloodlust fixed at lower values.
- autoheal is fixed at 5manaxhp. Lower?
- spell ranges

Offline Mistral

• Administrator
  • Axe Thrower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »
autoheal cost is actually depends on greater heal spell cost, you can change it with triggers.
greater heal is default not finished spell by blizzard, autoheal actually works on its code.
and cost of 5 is also actually default set by blizzard.
in original it wasnt auto though, but it seems like it was AOE heal, but there is not orig code for that, they do not maked it to the end, dunno why.

there is also trigger that can fix blood onto honest x2 instead of x1.5-x3, its switch place of armor calculation
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 07:11:33 PM by Mistral »

Offline pianolarva

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 08:13:05 PM »
You are so knowledgeable about this game. AOE makes sense, less clicking, but maybe was troublesome to implement.
Yes, I meant BL lower than x2. I'm using it.

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 09:53:19 AM »
You are so knowledgeable about this game. AOE makes sense, less clicking, but maybe was troublesome to implement.
Yes, I meant BL lower than x2. I'm using it.
No perhaps they realized healing was too strong if aoe? Or maybe the healing value was so abysmal to be aoe?