Author Topic: SaveLoadFix on single player?  (Read 4000 times)

Offline warrepur

• Critter
    • View Profile
SaveLoadFix on single player?
« on: July 31, 2024, 07:18:05 PM »
I've only ever played single player campaign mode,  and now that my kids are old enough, I'm trying to get them into the game.

I've tried running the dos version in dosbox and also the latest War2Combat version I found here, but in both cases, as soon as we start saving/loading the game, the AI keeps breaking and enemy units stop attacking, stop researching, etc.  Reloading or restarting the game doesn't fix anything.  We're on a level now with our base built, resources collected, ready to attack and defend but the AI is just idle.  Just takes most of the fun out of the game when there's not much of a fight

We're all just very, very casual players (and not even very good ones at that!) and as much as possible would like to recreate the same gameplay experience that was originally available

I've downloaded and tried playing Danny's DAIFE and while I think it's much better in many ways with various enhancements and fixes, the difficulty is just far too difficult for casual warriors like ourselves.  (shoutout to Danny for all the hard work!)

Is there a mod or a patch available that addresses JUST the known save/load AI feature?  Or even a mod with some enhancements and fixes with no increase in difficulty?

I realize many of you more experienced players are looking for a more challenging gameplay experience (and maybe someday we'll get there), but for now I'd be content with just being able to play the game as I used to play it with the original, much easier level of difficulty

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thx!

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: SaveLoadFix on single player?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 09:27:48 PM »
Good eye and good game experience to already know the existing bugs from Computers once you Save/Reload, buddy.

Yes, computer script & functionality will break out once you re-load a game.

I had some several headaches while being a kid & teen trying to find out the reason that made computer break in multiple ways in DOS version. Unfortunately, it wasn't fixed on Battle net edition.

The issues never were fixed by Blizzard. But thanks to Ed gorod, now they're fixed up with a Plugin in War2 Combat edition.

The plugin file must be placed in your Plugin folder from War2Combat. Folder comes by default after installing.

I've added up both the Plugin file with fixes & a text file with the bugs explanation by me and Ed.

---------

As an extra hint: If you would really like to experience the whole intended experience from the main AI script on each mission, you can try out playing the mission in one way through. No saves. No reloading in whole mission... Just in case you didn't want to bug out the computer AND... you didn't have access to this Plugin file, of course.

This plugin file ONLY works for War2 COMBAT edition. Not other war2 installer for Windows. But also, this plugin file DOES NOT fixes the same computer issues in DOS version...

DOS version is very classic but unfortunately there's no fix in this sense for that version.

Have fun

---------

Now reading till the end of your post, there's a chance I may do another MOD that is even more accurate with respect to the original difficulty set up by Blizzard on AI scripts... but WITH NO BUGS like those with save/reloading...

DAIFE mod is indeed trying to fit this description but I still ended up adding my own dose of difficulty. Computer really can turn a challenge and a way different experience to fight against, once they reach out upgrades and not get stucked. Hopefully can come up with something. Thanks for trying out the mods!

Thanks for mentioning your question about wanting a mod with not enhanced difficulty. I will see what can come up with...

Since DAIFE mod exists already and fixes MANY of the already existing bugs in MAPS & AI scripts from Blizzard's original work, then a new mod with the most accurate difficulty as possible, should NOT take that much to make.

Once again, thanks for reaching.

Offline dannyldd

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: SaveLoadFix on single player?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 10:59:51 PM »
I've only ever played single player campaign mode,  and now that my kids are old enough, I'm trying to get them into the game.

I've tried running the dos version in dosbox and also the latest War2Combat version I found here, but in both cases, as soon as we start saving/loading the game, the AI keeps breaking and enemy units stop attacking, stop researching, etc.  Reloading or restarting the game doesn't fix anything.  We're on a level now with our base built, resources collected, ready to attack and defend but the AI is just idle.  Just takes most of the fun out of the game when there's not much of a fight

We're all just very, very casual players (and not even very good ones at that!) and as much as possible would like to recreate the same gameplay experience that was originally available

I've downloaded and tried playing Danny's DAIFE and while I think it's much better in many ways with various enhancements and fixes, the difficulty is just far too difficult for casual warriors like ourselves.  (shoutout to Danny for all the hard work!)

Is there a mod or a patch available that addresses JUST the known save/load AI feature?  Or even a mod with some enhancements and fixes with no increase in difficulty?

I realize many of you more experienced players are looking for a more challenging gameplay experience (and maybe someday we'll get there), but for now I'd be content with just being able to play the game as I used to play it with the original, much easier level of difficulty

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thx!

https://gamebanana.com/mods/535863

Hey buddies, danny here.

This mod is intended to showcase the actual original computer difficulty being set up by Blizzard in 1995. Just attempted to get ride of as many bugs as possible that could find in the 52 original campaign maps.

(...)

Accuracy Edition from now attempts to showcase every single original attack and AI orders that were originally written by Blizzard Entertainment.

The experience all people have out there have about warcraft 2 campaigns is wrong, since most of the original maps have one or several bugs that will never allow the player to have an actual chance to fight an enemy(...) Most of the original campaign maps are just an attempt to destroy an obstacle. Mostly a dead oponnent, since in original maps the AIs just either get bugged out, stucked or never manage to launch all of their intended unit upgrades or attacks.

If you ever thought for a second that the original Warcraft 2 campaigns are either too easy, too bugged up or that they weren't actually tested up, this is the Mod for you.

This Mod eventually will be a harder challenge for you, in case you wanted something harder than the original Warcraft 2 campaign maps difficulty, in case you're either a casual level player or someone experienced in Real Strategy Games.

I did NOT test up all the maps, even though they were minimally tweaked, to either showcase the full potential from original and completed AI scripts (...)

Most noticeable fixes (...)

-Not anymore a lack of workers (...)
-Attempted to fix as many situations as possible where computer units would get stucked around shorelines, around barracks or town/great halls.
-Showcasing all the intended upgrades (...)
-Improved unit pathing around most of computer bases (...)
-Fixed as many situations as possible where ships could get stucked near to their shipyard/refineries.
-(...) player could complete missions real quick with either Cheeses or Rushes (...)